We offer services in ebook formatting and ebook covers for Smashwords, Amazon Kindle (and KF8) and basic reflowable text epub. We take fiction, non-fiction, comic books, children’s books… but unfortunately we do not take cookbooks. Premium guaranteed formatting for Smashwords! We work to be fast and give you a quality product. Please continue to read if you would like to know more.
What we do: Format reflowable text into Smashwords and Amazon format; Comic books into epub (not fixed formatting); and ebook and print book covers using stock images and occasionally our own original artwork. Sometimes we create character portraits or ebook advert trailers, but please inquire first regarding those.
- We do offer a selection of pre-made covers at: http://www.premadecovers4u.com if you need that special book cover as soon as possible.
- A good place to get portraits of your characters is Ellen Million’s Portrait Adoption website! (Plus it’s where Katrina’s artistic career began.) Click here for her Facebook. Click here for the main website. And happy portrait hunting!
Below is a list of how we figure out our rates, although this is usually calculated on a case per case basis. For a final quote, please feel free to contact us using the information provided on our contact page.
Rates are based on but are not limited to the following:
- 7.5 cents per 100 words for ebooks, minimum $15 charge.
- 20 cents per 100 words for Createspace
- We have a bundle price of 15 cents per 100 words when getting both ebook and Creatspace for plain text! (Read further for extras.)
- To convert the Smashwords document we create for you into epub or mobi, $10. This is for a simple conversion and does not cover fixing image coding and other time-intensive elements. For image heavy books or books we have not formatted, please inquire.
- $2.00 per interior illustration that we have to fix for the book. We do NOT create original illustrations.
- $3 per page for KF8 only: Images, text boxes and magnification areas only.
- Footnote/endnote/bulleted list charge of $1.00 per every 25 (no discounts for odd numbers).
- COMIC BOOK EPUB: $2.5 per page, minimum fee of $20. You must provide all artwork already sized at 120 to 150 dpi, 8″ wide minimum. Extra $1.50 per page if we have to resize them for you.
- If providing PDF, there is a scan/OCR fee of 20 cents per page and $1 per illustration. In some cases there will be an excess spell check fee depending on how corrupted your file may be.
- $25 for linked hyperlink/websites in excess of 25. Over 100, the rate goes up $1 per every 10 links.
- Stylistic Extra Fancy Chapter Headers, $2.5 each if we must make image graphics.
- Scene and chapter divider graphics using public domain dividers or a divider you provide, $1 for every 10 placements.
- Documents with numerous tables, please inquire. Smashwords does not support tables in their documents, although they can be made to work.
Formatting includes the following in appropriate conditions:
- Linked table of contents (all internal document links are verified).
- Copyright and license page as per Smashwords requirements
- Appropriate front information, such as a title and copyright page.
- Appropriate end section such as an “about the author” page, links to your Web site, etc.
- Document clean up: removing odd fonts, random styling inconsistencies, improper indents, tabs, tables, text boxes, and various other things that can get your book rejected for premium distribution.
- Epubs and mobis will be clean and have simple coding such as “easy drop-caps” if you so desire. Fancy coding for epubs, such as found in a “fixed-layout” epub (such as a children’s book with words overlapping the art), will not be done.
- Your choice of block-style or first-line indented paragraph styles. (If you don’t specify I simply follow your document’s original setting.)
- Properly formatted chapter headings and page breaks.
What you get: You get your choice of a specially formatted DOC file for use with Smashwords, or an epub file for Nook, or a mobi file for Amazon. $10 charge for each extra format included.
What we don’t do as part of this service:
- Proofreading, grammar / punctuation, spell-checking, etc.
- Actual upload of the files to Smashwords, Amazon, Pubit, etc.
- Building your book for you.
- Free cover. For prices, please see this website’s section on covers.
- Book reviews
- Marketing – although we do on occasion post finished project notices here for our readers to enjoy.
We will need your document in one of the following formats:
- Doc or Docx (preferred)
- PDF (not preferred: can lead to grammatical errors in conversion, and there will be an OCR charge)
- Filtered HTML (please include all image files with this format, linked properly)
We can create covers using stock art or drawing your image from scratch. With covers created from stock art, prefer to get our images from Big Stock Foto – if you have something very specific in mind for your special project, we recommend taking a look through there. It helps us get the cover just how you want it… quickly, too!
We do offer a selection of pre-made covers at: http://www.premadecovers4u.com if you need that special book cover as soon as possible.
- Covers using stock images:
- $40 if you provide your own images. Please be sure to have images that are large enough. Here is our extensive list of image resources (click here).
- $65 plus an image reimbursement fee if we find the images for you.
- This service normally includes tweaks to the images in order to make your cover more original
- Painted style covers using 3D by Katrina start at $200
- Covers drawn from scratch start at $150. Rates increase with complexity and time taken. NOTE: If you are wanting a more “photo realistic” style on your cover, hand-drawn by us may not be the best option. Our style is a bit more line-art and might even be called “cartoonish”.
- Up to ten free changes – changes to go back to an earlier design included. $3 per change from there after.
- Other fees may apply.
- Our rates were originally established to make our services affordable for Smashwords authors. If you feel we are charging too little and want to offer a more comparable rate (yes, we know you’re out there and thank you for this) perhaps an industry standard comparison chart can help you. Please visit: https://ebookcovers4u.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=1074
What we guarantee and what we don’t guarantee
If we tell you it will work, it will work. We don’t make such promises without knowing for sure. This goes for special interior formatting such as image size etc. Your book will be formatted for Smashwords’ guidelines and be accepted for Premium Distribution on that score. Your book is never delivered until it is tested here and passes the test.
We don’t guarantee the following conditions:
- Any changes are made after I have delivered the completed file
- Your book is rejected because of excessive spelling or grammatical errors
- Your book is rejected because a cover you provided is not up to specifications
- If there other issues about the book we may have tried to resolve with you but could not.